Course learning and career outcomes
Your link between academic studies and workplace practice
There are no enforced prerequisites for enrolling in CTA1 Foundations. This course is recommended to you if you are interested in gaining entry level skills that enable you to perform common compliance tasks when working with tax agents, accounting firms or corporations.
CTA1 Foundations is ideal for:
- recent graduates of accounting and law
- overseas professional wishing to gain the basics in Australian tax
- school leavers
- registered tax agents
- financial planners.
If English is your second language you need either:
- six years of high school study with the language of instruction in English OR an IELTS sore of 6.5 (minimum 6 in speaking and listening; minimum 6.5 in reading and writing), or
- TOEFL score of 69 (minimum 60 in speaking and listening; minimum 69 in reading and writing).
CTA1 Foundations units include:
- introduction to the Australian tax system
- Tax Agents Services Act (TASA) 2009 and the Code of Professional Conduct
- goods and services tax and payroll
- capital gains tax
- fringe benefits tax.
On completion of CTA1 Foundations, you will be able to:
- apply the ethics, responsibilities and duties of a tax professional in all professional communications including those with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), the Tax Practitioners Board and the client, in accordance with the Code of Professional Conduct
- interview a client and prepare an individual income tax return involving a range of compliance taxation issues
- determine how the PAYG system applies to a taxpayer, and prepare routine BAS and IAS statements
- advise individual income tax clients on a limited range of issues
- maintain client administration records and liaise with the ATO in respect of lodgment lists for individual income tax returns, BAS statements and IAS statements
- lodge all compliance statements, income tax returns and fringe benefits tax returns with the ATO.
The career opportunities following the CTA1 Foundations include, but are not limited to:
- bookkeeper/BAS agent
- cadet/graduate/trainee accountant
- financial planner
- graduate lawyer
- tax analyst.