Course learning and career outcomes
Your link between academic studies and workplace practice
Introducing the Chartered Tax Adviser Program
From 2013, The Tax Institute will be implementing a new program – The Chartered Tax Adviser Program – replacing the existing Tax Education Program. Going forward, the Certificate in Foundation Tax will now be known as CTA1 Foundations.
Are you a current or future candidate? Find out how we have enhanced the program.
There are no enforced prerequisites for enrolling in CTA1 Foundations. This course is recommended to you if you are interested in gaining entry level skills that enable you to perform common compliance tasks when working with tax agents, accounting firms or corporations.
CTA1 Foundations is ideal for:
- recent graduates of accounting and law
- overseas professional wishing to gain the basics in Australian tax
- school leavers
- registered tax agents
- financial planners.
CTA1 Foundations units include:
- introduction to the Australian tax system
- Tax Agents Services Act (TASA) 2009 and the Code of Professional Conduct
- goods and services tax and payroll
- capital gains tax
- fringe benefits tax.
On completion of CTA1 Foundations, you will be able to:
- apply the ethics, responsibilities and duties of a tax professional in all professional communications including those with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), the Tax Practitioners Board and the client, in accordance with the Code of Professional Conduct
- interview a client and prepare an individual income tax return involving a range of compliance taxation issues
- determine how the PAYG system applies to a taxpayer, and prepare routine BAS and IAS statements
- advise individual income tax clients on a limited range of issues
- maintain client administration records and liaise with the ATO in respect of lodgment lists for individual income tax returns, BAS statements and IAS statements
- lodge all compliance statements, income tax returns and fringe benefits tax returns with the ATO.
The career opportunities following the CTA1 Foundations include, but are not limited to:
- bookkeeper/BAS agent
- cadet/graduate/trainee accountant
- financial planner
- graduate lawyer
- tax analyst.