International tax bodies
Your link between academic studies and workplace practice
Are you currently waiting for your visa?
Did you know that you can study with The Tax Institute while you wait, the Australian sister body of the Chartered Institute of Taxation (UK) and the Irish Tax Institute, and Australia's leading professional association in tax.
- What is the Chartered Tax Adviser Program?
- What is CTA1 Foundations?
- How does distance study work?
- How to apply
- Contact us
The Chartered Tax Adviser Program offers courses in Australian tax law that are ideal for overseas professionals who wish to gain the basics to ensure they are “work ready” when they arrive in Australia. The courses build on each other so you can step in or up to the level you need, at the time that suits you.
The program concludes with the pinnacle CTA3 Advisory Exam, which allows successful candidates to access the globally recognised Chartered Tax Adviser designation. It is due to the esteem in which The Tax Institute’s education programs, and the reputation of its members, are held internationally that the Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT) has licensed the CTA designation to be achieved through this program.
Chartered Tax Adviser Program courses include:
- CTA1 Foundations
- CTA2 Advanced
- A Course in Australian Taxation Law (Tax Practitioners Board approved award for completion of CTA1 and CTA2)
- CTA3 Advisory (including the stand-alone CTA3 Advisory Exam).
The Course in Australian Taxation Law is approved by the Australian Tax Practitioners Board (TPB) as a suitable course in Australian taxation law, and meets the tax law requirements to become a registered tax agent in Australia.
Visit our Chartered Tax Adviser Program page for more information.
CTA1 Foundations provides new entrants to the profession with a working knowledge of the tax compliance requirements of the Australian tax system. This course is ideal for those wishing to develop local tax knowledge before arriving, and significantly enhances your Australian employment opportunities.
With multiple course offerings for CTA1 Foundations you will find a course intake to suit your travel plans and members of our sister bodies, including the Irish Tax Institute and The Chartered Institute of Taxation (UK), receive preferred pricing to the value of 15% off the non-member enrolment price.
Find out more about CTA1 Foundations course structure.
All our courses are delivered through a convenient distance study format that includes:
- comprehensive study materials
- excellent distance guide to facilitate your self-study
- online resources
- small group tele/web-conferences where you can ask your questions (audio and visual resources)
- exams (which can be sat under remote exam conditions).
Find out more about CTA1 Foundations workload guidelines.
To enrol in CTA1 Foundations, follow these steps:
- visit the CTA1 Foundations page for more information
- call +61 2 8223 0038 or email to request more information
- complete the enquiry form to register your interest
- complete an enrolment form and email with a copy of your membership certificate.