Course learning and career outcomes
Your platform for building tax industry experience
Introducing the Chartered Tax Adviser Program
From 2013, The Tax Institute will be implementing a new program – The Chartered Tax Adviser Program – replacing the existing Tax Education Program. Going forward, the Certificate in Applied Tax will now be known as CTA2 Advanced.
Are you a current or future candidate? Find out how we have enhanced the program.
To enrol in CTA2 Advanced, candidates are required to hold current membership of The Tax Institute, and have at least 12 months’ relevant experience in Australian tax, accounting or law as supported by a professional referee.
Further, candidates are required to have successfully passed The Tax Institute’s CTA1 Foundations assessment or an undergraduate tax subject from an accredited education provider in the last 12 months (supported by a transcript or qualification certificate).
CTA2 Advanced course units include:
- ethics, Tax Agent Services Act (TASA) 2009 and the Code of Professional Conduct
- capital gains tax
- corporate tax
- goods and services tax
- fringe benefits tax
- international tax
- partnerships and trusts
- Part IVA and general anti-tax avoidance
- research and writing skills.
On completion of CTA2 Advanced you will be able to:
- identify and apply relevant legislation and guidelines in the completion of tax returns in a tax agency practice for non-routine individuals and business principals
- demonstrate appropriate use of business communication skills and provide service to clients to effectively and comprehensively extract all data from a business client interview
- prepare compliant and accurate complex tax return documents from complex and extended source data
- apply a client focussed approach to tasks through the completion of timely, compliant and accurate complex tax returns
- display a professional, ethical and commercial attitude to the practice/business.Identify and prepare solutions for complex tax planning issues for the approval/confirmation of senior staff.
CTA2 Advanced career opportunities include, but not limited to:
- associate lawyer
- certified financial planner
- corporate tax accountant
- lecturer or tutor
- tax manager
- registered tax agent
- tax adviser.