Recognition and progression
Your platform for building tax industry experience
Introducing the Chartered Tax Adviser Program
From 2013, The Tax Institute will be implementing a new program – The Chartered Tax Adviser Program – replacing the existing Tax Education Program. Going forward, the Certificate in Applied Tax will now be known as CTA2 Advanced.
Are you a current or future candidate? Find out how we have enhanced the program.
Graduates of CTA2 Advanced will gain:
- an exemption from the Chartered Accountants Program Tax Module
- an exemption from the CPA Australia Program Tax Segment
- six units of credit for one of the following postgraduate tax programs offered by the Australian School of Taxation & Business Law (Atax) at the University of New South Wales:
- Graduate Diploma in Advanced Taxation
- Master of Taxation
- Master of International Taxation
- credit for the capstone income tax unit (Taxation 531) for one of the following postgraduate programs offered by Curtin University School of Business Law and Taxation:
- Graduate Certificate in Taxation
- Postgraduate Diploma of Commerce (Taxation).
This course, together with CTA1 Foundations, contributes to the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB) approved Course in Australian Taxation Law award for registering as a tax agent.
On successful completion of CTA2 Advanced, candidates will receive a certificate of completion. Please contact your local state office for graduation ceremony details.
On successful completion of CTA2 Advanced may choose to progress directly to CTA3 Advisory.
Together, CTA1 Foundations and CTA2 Advanced contribute to the two-semester Course in Australian Taxation Law qualification as approved by the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB) for registering as a tax agent (conditions apply).
Please refer to the TPB website for registration requirements.
Additionally, the Institute offers a range of continuing professional development (CPD) seminars and events, as well as tax publications, to continue your learning and development throughout your career.
On successful completion of CTA2 Advanced candidates are eligible to apply to become a Fellow member of the Institute.
Find out more about membership.
CTA2 Advanced candidates are encouraged to contact their local state office to find out ways to become more involved with the activities of the Institute.
Find out more about volunteering.
Complimentary online access to publications
CTA2 Advanced candidates receive complimentary access to our Tax tips and tricks online research sessions and Effective Business Writing Skills for Tax Professionals presentation, as well as receive complimentary access to the following online publications from our business alliance partners:
- Tax Q&A, Thomson Reuters
- Tax Solution Finder, CCH Australia Limited.
Continuing professional development (CPD)
CTA2 Advanced contributes to 30 hours of structured CPD.