Course learning and career outcomes
Your springboard to a global tax designation
To enrol in CTA3 Advisory, you are required to hold current Fellow membership of The Tax Institute and have at least 36 month’s relevant experience in Australian tax, accounting or law (supported by a professional referee).
CTA3 Advisory case studies include, but are not limited to, the following advisory level specialisations (which change to ensure currency):
- capital gains tax
- international tax
- fringe benefits tax and employment taxes
- corporate tax
- goods and services tax.
Please note: the content of the case studies is decided by the Examinations Board and is related to the issues that arise in the year of delivery. Consequently, this list of case studies is an indication only of the topics covered and the issues, and is subject to change without notice.
CTA3 Advisory is for tax professionals who are learning the critical concepts and techniques to prepare for the CTA3 Advisory Exam.
On completion of CTA3 Advisory, you will be able to:
- determine and evaluate alternative available tax strategies
- interview clients with more complicated tax issues and prepare associated working papers to instruct staff on the preparation of individual, partnership, trust, not-for-profit, superannuation fund and company returns
- advise on a range of complex high-net-worth individual, partnership, trust, superannuation fund, business and company issues
- maintain vigilance on non-tax issues that could impact clients, including assurance, financial reporting and business planning issues
- integrate the impact of risk and assurance, ethics, corporate governance and commercial issues of a corporation, and advise corporate tax clients on a full range of tax issues.
CTA3 Advisory career opportunities include, but not limited to:
- corporate advisory professional
- partner/senior associate lawyer
- divisional/senior tax manager
- investment banker/structured finance consultant
- senior lecturer/professor
- tax counsel
- tax director/head of tax.