Published on 28 Mar 03
by NATIONAL EVENTS, TAXATION INSTITUTE OF AUSTRALIA
The commercial and tax issues which affect SMSFs continue to be one of the least understood areas by trustees and advisers alike. Using a case study approach, this presentation considers several SMSF investments and whether
they meet the relevant SIS requirements.
Topics covered include:
- dealing with the ATO and its current move from education to compliance
- formulation of an appropriate Investment Strategy
- sole purpose test considerations
- investment restrictions and exceptions (including lending issues, acquiring assets from members, borrowings, 'in house' assets rule)
- interaction between SMSFs and interests held in unit trusts
- Financial Services Reform Act implications.
Dr Mark Pizzacalla CTA
Mark is Partner-in-Charge of the Private Clients practice at BDO Melbourne as well as being integrally involved in the firm's Tax and Advisory practice. Mark's focus is on both strategic tax advisory and tax compliance as they relate to the private client sector. Mark is a regular speaker on taxation issues, and a prolific writer having contributed significant tax commentary through his numerous articles, publications and conference papers. Mark has been regularly interviewed on Lateline Business in relation to current taxation issues, and is one of the few tax practitioners that has had his work cited in Australia's Parliament. Mark is a current member of The Tax Institutes Technical Committee, and former Chair of The Tax Institutes National SME Sub-Committee. Current at 13 February 2015
Click here to expand/collapse more articles by Mark PIZZACALLA.
Further details about this event: