Published on 02 May 13
by SOUTH AUSTRALIAN DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
With the recent crackdown on UPEs (Div 7A) and the uncertainty regarding taxation of trust income, more people are looking to companies again as an operating structure.
This paper includes:
- a brief overview of the issues currently being faced by taxpayers operating through trusts
- a brief overview of the general advantages and disadvantages of operatingthrough a company (tax and non-tax)
- discussion on the use of a company for conducting a business, including mechanisms which may be used to minimise any perceived disadvantages
- discussion on structuring options to try and achieve “the best of both worlds”
- discussion on whether a company could be effectively used as an investment vehicle.
Nick is a Partner at Edwards Marshall and has over 25 years' experience in the provision of taxation, accounting and business services with his areas of specialty including CGT, deceased estates and SMEs.
- Current at
02 September 2015