Published on 13 Mar 09
by NATIONAL DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
This paper provides an analysis of the main tax issues affecting your clients in a distressed market including:
- tax losses of companies in administration or liquidation
- sales by lenders enforcing security interests
- commercial debt forgiveness
- interest payments after the business has ceased
- other issues for the borrowers
- capitalised interest, suspended interest and non-accrual loans
- doubtful and bad debts
- restructures and the market value substitution rules
- other issues for the lender.
Duncan R C BAXTER
Duncan is Head of the National Tax Team at Blake Dawson. He was previously a Partner in the
International Tax Group of a global accounting firm. Earlier this year Duncan served as one of the three private
sector representatives on the Federal Government’s Tax Design Review Panel.
Current at 11 March 2009 Current at 14 May 2009
Click here to expand/collapse more articles by Duncan R C BAXTER.