Published on 15 Mar 07
by NATIONAL EVENTS, TAXATION INSTITUTE OF AUSTRALIA
This paper explores the tax issues that arise when winding up a private company and covers income tax, GST and stamp duty aspects including:
- why liquidate? - comparison with capital return mechanisms
- dividend v capital proceeds - where do I start?
- managing available franking credits
- CGT events C2 and G1
- implications of various liquidation strategies
- interaction with CGT discount and small business concessions
- liquidating consolidated entities - where should you start?