Published on 29 Aug 13
by NATIONAL DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
Insurance is sometimes a “forgotten area” for SMSFs. This paper addresses the crucial role of insurance in SMSFs, by considering the following:
- does insurance have a role to play in SMSFs?
- can group life be offered to SMSFs?
- what happens to insurance after commencement of an income stream?
- is there a role for insurance in connection with an SMSF borrowing strategy?
- deductions for premiums/assessability of insurance proceeds
- insurance applications: life, disability, trauma, terminal illness, income replacement
- tax effectively managing receipt of taxable component/element untaxed inthe fund
- allocation of insurance proceeds to reserve and availability of tax deductionsfor death benefit payments.
Craig has been a senior member of the FirstTech team since 1999 and has over 12 years experience in the financial services industry. Besides representing Colonial First State at a range of industry and regulatory forums, Craig is actively involved in both course development and presenting for Kaplan and is a SPAA specialist adviser.
Current at 14 May 2008 Current at 18 June 2008
Click here to expand/collapse more articles by Craig DAY.