Published on 04 Jun 04
by NEW SOUTH WALES DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
Not everyone wants to develop property. Property investors riding the cycles of the property market can make significant profits, but also have some significant tax issues. This paper looks at:
- depreciable asset or structural improvement - where to draw the line?
- what structure should be used to buy rental properties?
- repairs, initial repairs and improvements
- when is a property available for rent?
- what structure should your business premises be purchased in?
This paper was also presented by Andrew Smith at the 'Making Property Investment Work' seminar held in Perth on 24 February 2005.