Published on 13 Oct 07
by THE TAX INSTITUTE
This paper examines different concepts of ownership and entitlement that are relevant for tax purposes. Topics covered include:
- Who is a "beneficial owner"?
- When does beneficial ownership change?
- Beneficial ownership v. equitable interests
- Bare Trusts and absolute ownership with refernce to TR 2004/D25 Buckles cases (1998) and CPT Custodian (2005)
- Connected or different concepts: "vested and indefeasible interests" and "present entitlement"
Gerry is a partner of DLA Phillips Fox and has over 20 years experience in tax. Gerry is head of DLA Phillips Fox's TransTasman Tax Practice and chairs the Law Institute of Victoria’s Tax and Revenue Committee. He has written widely in tax and is a co-author of Trusts: Text and Materials 2007 (CUP).
- Current at
08 July 2007