Published on 03 Jun 04
by NEW SOUTH WALES DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
This paper demonstrates the tax benefits and issues that arise when a unit trust is used as the vehicle for property investment. It considers:
- the use of a unit trust and not a company or other vehicle
- the tax points for unitholders and trustees
- several specific income tax issues arising from the use of a unit trust
- income tax issues when financing the unit trust
- GST issues - when GST is payable and credits arise
- other indirect tax issues - land tax and stamp duty.
Joe Galea is a tax Partner at Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu with over 15 years of corporate tax experience advising clients across a range of industries, with a particular focus on property related entities. Joe has provided a range of income tax advice to property related entities, including tax consolidation, syndications and the structuring of acquisitions and disposals.
Current at 10 April 2006 Current at 13 October 2009
Click here to expand/collapse more articles by Joe GALEA.