Published on 25 May 07
by NEW SOUTH WALES DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
VCE is the first case on GST avoidance. This paper will examine how it compares to and contrasts with Part IVA including:
- Differences between Division 165 and Part IVA
- What is a reasonable alternative postulate?
- When is a GST benefit "attributable" to a choice, application or election?
- Does the principal effect test add anything to the dominant purpose test?
- Is subjective motive relevant?
Mark is a Queen’s Counsel with chambers in Brisbane and Sydney. He has appeared in many anti-avoidance cases Australia-wide for taxpayers and for the Commissioner.
- Current at
24 May 2017