Published on 05 Mar 10
by NATIONAL DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
This paper covers:
- the impact of the 2007 and 2008 amendments and the 2009 budget announcements
- fixed v non-fixed trusts - what is a vested and indefeasible interest?
- fixed trusts with non-fixed trusts interest holders
- overview of traps with the individual tests including:
- the pattern of distributions test
- the 50% stake test and the alternative 50% stake test
- the control test
- the income injection test
- family and family group - "ins and outs"
- family trust elections and interposed entity elections - how, when and why to make them
- the new TFN withholding rules for closely held trusts.