Published on 12 Oct 07
by VICTORIAN DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
Calculation of consideration and cost base for CGT purposes can be made complicated by post completion and other events. The impact of different events is examined in this presentation including:
- is the cost base fixed by the requirement to pay under the contract or can it change? For example, cost base adjustments for post-completion events
- how is cost base affected by set-off or forgiveness of liability to pay?
- CGT treatment of contingent and unascertainable amounts (eg earn-outs) for both consideration and cost base purposes
- is consideration under a contract ever fixed? What if there is known exposure to a warranty claim when the contract is signed?
- are legal costs related to opposing an indemnity claim part of the seller’s cost base?
Current at 07 March 2012
Click here to expand/collapse more articles by Melanie BAKER.