Published on 14 Mar 08
by NATIONAL EVENTS, TAXATION INSTITUTE OF AUSTRALIA
This presentation tackles the difficult issues thrown up when using trust splitting or cloning techniques for succession planning or wealth preservation. Case studies demonstrate the following:
- technical problems with CGT events A1, E1 and E2
- how to bring into existence a new trust
- shifting value to the new trust
- creditors following assets to the new trust
- the incidence of stamp duty
- keeping an eye on Part IVA.
Ken is a Tax and Commercial Law Director of Schurgott & Co Lawyers and Special Counsel with Brown Wright Stein Lawyers, Sydney. He has extensive experience in all aspects of tax (including state taxes and litigation), as well as business structuring, business sales and acquisitions, asset protection, succession planning and trust and estate law. Ken has been, until recently, a member of the Advisory Panel to the Board of Taxation and heavily engaged in ongoing consultation in relation to the reform of the taxation of trusts and trust issues generally.
- Current at
22 May 2017