Published on 04 Jun 04
by NEW SOUTH WALES DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
Not everyone wants to develop property. Property investors riding the cycles of the property market can make significant profits, but also have some significant tax issues. This presentation looks at:
- depreciable asset or structural improvement - where to draw the line?
- what structure should be used to buy rental properties?
- repairs, initial repairs and improvements
- when is a property available for rent?
- what structure should your business premises be purchased in?
This was also presented by Andrew Smith at the 'Making Property Investment Work' seminar held in Perth on 24 February 2005.
Jo-anne is a director of TaxBytes, a Knowledge Shop Company, which is a specialised in house tax training business. She is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants and a Charted Tax Adviser of The Tax Institute and holds a Masters in Taxation from the University of Sydney. Jo-anne has been providing tax training to accounting and legal firms since 1994 from first tier firms down to smaller firms. She provides monthly tax training to a number of accounting firms throughout Australia. She has had extensive experience as a presenter in taxation matters and has been a regular presenter for the ICAA and TTI.
- Current at
10 January 2019