Published on 22 Aug 13
by WESTERN AUSTRALIAN DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
With many entities having accrued tax losses over the past few years due to project life cycle factors and/or changing economic conditions, it is important to assess whether those losses remain available to be utilised against future profits. This presentation focuses on the key testing requirements for utilising and carrying forward tax losses, including tips and traps for satisfaction of the various recoupment tests and other limitations. In particular, it examines:
- carrying forward losses in companies and trusts
- practical issues with satisfying the continuity of ownership test for both small and large businesses
- satisfying the requirements of the same business test
- other limitations and concessions with respect to deductibility of tax losses
- proposed loss carry-back measures.
Natasha is a director in the corporate tax practice at PwC with over 10 years’ experience across the Sydney and Perth markets. Specialising in international tax advisory for both inbound and outbound multinationals, Natasha has experience advising clients on a range of international structuring matters including CFCs, foreign capital gains, profit repatriation, withholding taxes and financing. Current at 01 February 2016
Click here to expand/collapse more articles by Natasha McCarthy.
Further details about this event: