Published on 07 Apr 06
by NATIONAL EVENTS, TAXATION INSTITUTE OF AUSTRALIA
"Fixed Trust" has become a recurrent building block in tax legislation however there are strong suggestions that the concept does not technically work in the manner that is suggested with potentially diabolical consequences in the future including:
- Where the concept of fixed trust is relied on in tax legislation
- Where courts are heading - the recent views of the High Court
- The concerns about the proper legal interpretation
- If you can't rely on the law can you rely on the Commissioner's discretion?
- Evolution of the concerns via the NTLG
Karen is a Senior Lecturer in in the Faculty of Law at the University of Sydney. She teaches in the postgraduate taxation program.
Current at 28 June 2006
Click here to expand/collapse more articles by Karen ROOKE.