Published on 06 Oct 06
by VICTORIAN DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
As the ATO ramps up the intensity of its Compliance Program, tax risk reviews, audits and disputes are increasingly important to not merely the tax specialists but to anyone doing business in Australia, including Boards, top management and shareholders. As a result, tax controversy has emerged as a specialist discipline, especially in dealing with issues at the big end of town. This paper focusses on current and emerging developments in practice, with key areas including:
- responding to the latest ATO Compliance strategies
- recent developments in legal professional privilege and other access and information gathering issues
- balancing corporate governance imperatives and practical tax controversy issues
- dealing with Part IVA issues in audits and disputes
- the impact of the review of self assessment legislation on penalties and interest.