Published on 20 Oct 06
by TASMANIAN DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
Australians have a fascination with acquiring and holding property. Understanding the latest in property investment is a must. This paper looks at the current issues facing property investors by examining:
- serviced apartments and management arrangements - the new GST treatment
- TD 2005/28 - does it apply to all property syndicates?
- income tax and GST impact of guaranteed rental streams
- using nominees or custodians to hold syndicate property - the income tax and GST issues
- property developments - determining when you are required to be registered for GST and when you can deregister
- the margin scheme - an overview of where we are today.
Michael was admitted to the partnership of KPMG in July 1999 after 11 years in chartered accountancy. He has extensive knowledge of most major taxes including payroll tax, income tax and fringe benefits tax and consults regularly on the practical implications of the GST. Michael was the adviser to the Tasmanian Government’s GST Implementation Program. He was the State Chairman of The Tax Institute in 2001, was a member of the National Executive of the Institute and the Chairman of the Institute’s National Technical Committee. Michael has been a member of the Commissioner’s Division 7A reference group since its inception and was instrumental in lobbying for the changes that saw the introduction of s 109RB discretions.
- Current at
18 September 2013