Published on 08 Oct 05
by VICTORIAN DIVISION, THE TAX INSTITUTE
There has been a watershed of changes in the past 12 or so months impacting superannuation and pensions; particularly SMSFs. There are still some great tax concessions but these are generally only available if the correct strategy is chosen and you comply with the applicable rules. This paper covers:
- the impact of recent changes
- the various types of pensions now on offer including non-commutable pensions
- excess benefits strategies
- comparing taxation outcomes depending on type of benefit taken
- case studies illustrating the flexibility and options available
- ATO compliance targets.
This paper was also presented on 15 October 2005 by Shawn Irvine at the Tasmanian State Convention in St Helens.