Published on 18 Mar 05
by NATIONAL EVENTS, TAXATION INSTITUTE OF AUSTRALIA
This presentation covers winding up a private company from income tax, GST and stamp duty viewpoints, including:
- why liquidate? - comparison with capital return mechanisms
- dividend v capital proceeds - where do I start?
- managing available franking credits
- CGT events C2 and G1
- liquidating consolidated entities - where should you start?
- timing issues - some curious results emerge
- interaction with CGT discount and small business concessions
- stamp duty exemptions and GST issues on liquidations
- implications of various liquidation strategies.
Andrew Sinclair, CTA is a partner in Cowell Clarke's Tax & Revenue practice group. As a tax and superannuation specialist with over 25 years' experience, his qualifications are in law and as a Chartered Accountant. With a broad knowledge of corporate and business law, Andrew has specialist expertise in private client scenarios. This usually involves discretionary trusts, private companies and the diversity of views that family dynamics delivers.
- Current at
22 November 2017