Published on 17 Mar 05
by NATIONAL EVENTS, TAXATION INSTITUTE OF AUSTRALIA
This presentation covers:
- the 'ATO advice' product offerings - private, public, product and class rulings
- the effect of having a ruling, including 'Will it cover Part IVA?' and can it be relied upon?
- withdrawal of a ruling - when and how?
- material difference in the facts underlying a ruling - what is the impact?
- where do ATOIDs fit?
- is a ruling application likely to have consequential issues?
- timing and cost issues
- the need for completeness and candour
- challenging the ATO position - is it better to tackle the ruling or the assessment?
Frank O’Loughlin, CTA, has been a practising barrister and member of the Victorian Bar since 2003 practising principally in taxation and commercial law and is also a part time Senior Member of the Commonwealth Administrative Appeals Tribunal. Before joining the Bar Frank practised as a solicitor with Corrs Chambers Westgarth, becoming a partner in 1994 and later a National Practice Group Leader and a Board Member. His practice was principally in the taxation and corporate and commercial law fields. Before Corrs Frank worked for 12 years with the Australian Taxation Office in the technical (assessingand compliance) and management/ administration branches finishing as a Director in the Melbourne Office of the ATO.
- Current at
05 October 2012