26 Sep 08 ATO response on data matching/pre-fillingIn 2008 TAXVINE No 35 (32) (5 September 2008), Member 1 commented on the amount of inaccurate information on pre-filling forms and the difficulties in correcting it. The ATO has now responded:
"We thank you for your positive feedback about the pre-filling service. The pre-filling report (available to Agents through the Tax Agent Portal) should be used as a tool to assist you in the preparation of your clients' income tax returns. The information provided should not be relied upon exclusively and may be incomplete because:
- an organisation has not supplied data
- we could not accurately match the data to your client's Tax Office record, or
- the data did not pass all processing checks.
There have been occasions where Agents have alerted us to incorrect information supplied by data providers. We have established an escalation process to handle these queries. Upon receipt we carry out investigations as to the accuracy of the information and where appropriate contact the data provider.
Should you have any issues regarding the pre-filling service which you would like the Tax Office to investigate please contact us with the client details. We will respond to your query within 3 working days.
You may contact us:
- by phoning, 13 72 86 fast key code 2 1 4, or
- by using the Portal Mail process - select the income tax topic and then the pre-filling report heading."
As always, TAXVINE thanks the ATO for their response to concerns raised by our Members.