Your shopping cart is empty

As Member 1 noted in Member Feedback in 2006 TAXVINE No 11 (27) (7 April 2006), the child care rebate is only applicable to payments for “approved care” and not “registered care”. This has now been confirmed by the ATO, which advises, however, that the child care benefit administered by the Family Assistance Office (FAO) is available to taxpayers using registered child care or approved child care.

Accordingly, taxpayers may have statements from their child care provider and statements from the FAO but may not be entitled to the rebate due to the fact that their child is in registered child care rather than in approved child care. If parents use registered child care they are not entitled to the rebate and, therefore, their details will not be available through the Tax Agent Portal.

The ATO states that where the Centrelink report accessed through the Portal displays the message No details recorded, and they are using approved child care, the taxpayer should be advised to contact Centrelink prior to lodging their tax return to confirm their use of approved child care and update the information being supplied by Centrelink to the ATO.

For a copy of the ATO advice, go here

Media Release Search
Eg. TD 2005/D52 ALL words EXACT phrase WITHOUT words Date range
From To