At the direction of the Assistant Treasurer, Chris Bowen, and in response to submissions from concerned taxpayers, the IGOT will undertake a review into the implications of any delayed or changed ATO advice on significant issues. In response to an invitation from the Commissioner, the IGOT will also undertake a review of the private rulings system.
From the wide range of other issues raised in consultation, the IGOT has distilled the following further issues that will form his work program for 2009 and into 2010 (subject to any matters of overriding priority that may arise):
- Review into the ATO's administration of the Superannuation Guarantee Charge (SGC).
- Review into the ATO's practices for finalising large company audits.
- Review into the ATO's compliance focus on Small to Medium Enterprises (SME).
- Review into the efficiency of the ATO's compliance and regulatory approaches to Self Managed Super Funds (SMSFs).
- Follow-up review into the ATO's implementation of agreed IGOT recommendations.
For more detail about the proposed reviews, go here.