27 Mar 099
NTLG GST Subgroup
Gina Lazanas FTIA (Balazs Lazanas & Welch LLP) represented the Taxation Institute at the ATO’s NTLG GST Subgroup meeting on Thursday 19 March 2009. Amongst the topics of discussion raised by the ATO were:
- the GST impacts of the current economic climate;
- the proposed ATO Compliance Program 2009-10 insofar as relating to GST issues;
- an update on the ATO’s GST and property project including developments in relation to the proposed issue of a new margin scheme determination;
- a debrief on the ATO’s decision not to appeal the Hornsby Shire Council case;
- proposed changes to public GST rulings following; and
- the ATO’s food classification tool.
The issues raised by industry representatives, including the Taxation Institute’s GST Subcommittee, included:
- the current position with respect to resident loans and the consideration for the sale of a retirement village;
- the ATO’s position with respect to refunds of overpaid GST in B2B transactions;
- the ATO’s requirements regarding GST refund notifications by taxpayers; and
- the ATO’s position with respect to apportionment of input tax credits on the basis of net revenue (including possible inconsistencies in approaches by the ATO).
Some of these issues require further submissions to be made. The next NTLG GST Subgroup meeting takes place on 18 June 2009. Any issues that members want considered as issues to be raised at that meeting can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org