The Taxation Institute supports the policy objectives of the proposed freedom of information reforms outlined in the exposure drafts. However, the Taxation Institute is concerned about the following two issues:
- the operation of the proposed FOI Reforms in the context of the taxation system, and
- the privacy and security of taxpayers' information which is provided to the Government.
- specifically requires the ATO to publish any information that is relevant to a taxpayer satisfying its taxation obligations
- mandates that all such information will be publicly accessible promptly and free of charge, and
- protects the security of taxpayers' own information which is in the Government's possession.