01 Feb 1010 Tax Practitioners Board actions roadmap for Consultative Forums
In a media release issued on 28 January 2010, it was announced that the Tax Practitioners Board held a Preliminary Consultative Forum with representatives from 13 professional associations on 20 January 2010. At the meeting stakeholders provided valuable input that is being used to map out consultative arrangements to ensure the successful transition to the new Tax Agent Services regime. The Board is currently preparing a draft Charter to be considered at the first formal meeting of the Board’s Consultative Forum, held in Melbourne on 9 March 2010.
In addition to providing the professional associations with an overview of the work undertaken by the Board, details were also provided on the preliminary approach to:
- recognising business activity statement (BAS) agent and tax agent associations;
- entry requirements, including qualifications, education and experience;
- professional standards, including the Code of Professional Conduct and fitness and propriety;
- notification processes for registration and re-registration, including the special transitional rules; and
- Board communication strategies, in particular for the bookkeeper professions.