29 May 07 Updated work program for 2007-08The Inspector-General (IGOT) has published his updated work program for 2007-08. On the basis of strong feedback from taxpayers and their representatives, the IGOT's forward work program is now as follows (subject to any matters of overriding priority that may arise):
- ATO approaches to settling and finalising issues with taxpayers
- Non-lodgement of income tax returns
- The extent to which the ATO has implemented its commitment to make as much of its guidance material as possible legally binding within its risk management considerations
- The extent to which the ATO has fulfilled its obligation in a self-assessment system to provide adequate and contemporary guidance to taxpayers on matters it has publicly identified as a compliance risk.
- The potential use of guidance such as the service entity booklet to increase certainty in other areas of compliance focus
- The ATO's level of investment in staff that set legal precedents
- The ATO’s management of the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP).
For more information about the IGOT's work program for 2007-08, go here