Published on 21 Jun 2005
| Took place at Holiday Inn Adelaide
This seminar focussed on the horse breeding and racing industry. The speakers covered a range of issues including:
- cases and rulings surrounding the hobby and business debate
- the treatment of animals as livestock or plant
- the CGT implications of disposals
- the GST impact on this industry from acquisitions to sales
- import and export issues
- the treatment of prize money and sponsorships.
Involvement in the thoroughbred industry through syndicates is a growing area and these seminar materials address issues relevant to different structures.
Advising clients in the thoroughbred industry
Author(s): Graeme SHEARD
This paper covers:
tax treatment of outgoings
CGT and collectibles
GST and exports
GST and concept of enterprise
business or speculation
tax treatment of syndicates and individual syndicate members.
The paper was also presented by Colin Matthews and Kerri Parker at the 'Advising Clients in the Thoroughbred Industry' seminar held in Adelaide on 21 June 2005.