Author(s): Graeme S COOPER This paper includes 6 case studies, prepared by Professor Graeme Cooper, covering many relevant and 'real world' topics on the capital-income dichotomy. The paper also includes extensive worked solutions and discussion notes for each case study.
Author(s): Graeme S COOPER, Rob O'CONNOR This seminar paper covers topics inluding:
- The mere realization v isolated business border - where does the border lie now?
- What tests do the Courts apply to determine whether a receipt is capital or income?
- Subdivision, limited development and sale after Whitfords Beach
- Some common problems putting income tax and CGT together - where are the gaps and the double-counting problems?
- Tax accounting for property developments - how do the CGT and income tax rules differ?
- Problems with taxing undissected receipts - what happens when income and capital are mixed, and what happens when two kinds of capital receipt are mixed?
- Gains and losses on liabilities - what does Orica really mean for my clients?