Author(s): Ken SPENCE This seminar paper demystifies the tax consolidation laws. Its focus will be on the approach that SME advisers could take when asking themselves the question: does the consolidations regime add benefit to my SME client or not? Questions answered include:
- Which clients does consolidations apply to?
- What are the benefits for the owners of consolidating?
- How does consolidations affect trusts and partnerships?
- What are the financial accounting affects of consolidating?
- What do you have to do to consolidate and by when?
- What happens if your client sells off part of a business or purchases a new business?
- What are the ramifications for losses and imputation credits?
Author(s): Annamaria CAREY This seminar paper focusses on the cost benefit analysis of deciding whether to consolidate or not, including:
- who can form part of the consolidated group
- treatment of assets and losses
- steps to be taken to select group and elect to consolidate
- when does the decision to consolidate have to be made?
- is restructuring an option?
Author(s): Greg TRAVERS, Jeremy HIRSCHHORN This seminar paper consists of a case study focussing on buying and selling a business including:
- timing of transaction
- share vs. assets
- losses planning
- funding and tax consolidations
- due diligence and warranty issues.