The Tax Institute welcomes the opportunity to make a submission to the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet in relation to the Independent Review of the Australian Public Service. Through its work in relation to tax policy and administration, The Tax Institute liaises with a number of Departments of State and government entities that engage staff under the Public Service Act 1999 (Cth) including:
- The Treasury; The Australian Taxation Office; The Inspector General of Taxation; and The Board of Taxation.
The focus of our submission is on the two key agencies involved in policy, law design and administration in the Australian tax and superannuation systems – being the Treasury and the Australian Taxation Office. The matters raised in our submission are directly relevant to these aspects of the APS review:
- delivering high quality policy advice, regulatory oversight, programs and services;
- tackling complex, multi-sectoral challenges in collaboration with the community, business and citizens;
- improving citizens’ experience of government and delivering fair outcomes for them; and
- acquiring and maintaining the necessary skills and expertise to fulfil its responsibilities.