13 Oct 1111 2011 Measures No 7 Bill passed by House
On 13 October 2011, Tax Laws Amendment (2011 Measures No 7) Bill 2011 was passed by the House of Representatives without amendment.
The Bill amends:
- ITAA1997 in relation to: taxation arrangements for special disability trusts; certain farm management deposits being accessed within 12 months; and eligibility of the producer, location, post, digital and visual effects offsets;
- Income Tax Rates Act 1986 to reduce the lowest marginal tax rate for workers participating in the Pacific Seasonal Worker Pilot Scheme;
- Taxation Administration Act 1953 to provide that the instalment income of certain taxpayers includes net gains in the taxation of financial arrangements;
- Tax Laws Amendment (Taxation of Financial Arrangements) Act 2009 to give the Commissioner of Taxation a discretion to extend the time in which taxpayers may notify the making of a transitional election in certain circumstances;
- ITAA 1997, Taxation Administration Act 1953 and Banking Act 1959 in relation to the administration of the farm management deposits scheme;
- ITAA 1997 and Tax Laws Amendment (2009 Measures No 6) Act 2010 to extend to 30 September 2011 the date for the temporary loss relief for merging superannuation funds; and
- A New Tax System (Australian Business Number) Act 1999, ITAA 1997 and Taxation Administration Act 1953 in relation to a regulatory framework for public ancillary funds.
The Bill also provides that any director penalty notices issued by the Commissioner of Taxation under former s 22AOE of the ITAA 1936 between 10 December 2007 and 30 June 2010 are valid, notwithstanding the New South Wales Court of Appeal decision in Soong v FCT  NSWCA 26 (25 February 2011).
The Bill now proceeds to the Senate.