On Friday 15 June 2012, Tax Counsel Stephanie Caredes ATI attended a meeting of the ATO’s Accounting Working Group. A short summary of the main issues discussed follows:
- Pre-Issue Compliance Activity Update – the ATO noted changes that would be made to the refund integrity check program for Tax Time 2012 as a result of the experience of the program in Tax Time 2011;
- Pay As You Go Instalments Product Update – the ATO noted some fixes that had been put in place in relation to issues occurring for letters issuing regarding PAYG Instalments. Changes would also be made to these products pending new legislative amendments;
- Tax Time 2012 – technical updates to the ATO’s electronic lodgement and processing systems will occur over the next couple of weeks with 2012 Income Tax Returns expected to be able to be processed from the first week of July;
- Australian Business Register – the ATO noted the need to put a separate request in for the appointment of the PAYG and GST roles while the ABR system was undergoing amendments over the next few months; and
- Reducing Paper Activity Statements for Electronic Lodgers – details of the ATO’s project to find out ways to encourage the use of electronic means for the issue and lodgement of Activity Statements and reduce production of paper Activity Statements.
Members requiring any further information in relation to any of the above items should contact us at Tax Policy.