11 Jun 1010 ATO Briefing Tax Time 2010
Tax Counsel, Angie Ananda FTIA attended the ATO Briefing for Tax Time 2010 on Thursday, 10 June 2010 and last Friday 4 June 2010. At the meeting on 4 June 2010, the ATO advised that Tax Time is being managed as a significant project with senior management oversight that involves the Deputy Commissioners meeting 2-3 times each week.
There are three key stages related to Tax Time as follows:
- The design phase - which has been completed;
- The build phase - which has been completed;
- The testing phase - currently underway.
- 18 June 2010 - testing to be completed;
- 26/27 June 2010 - deployment of new system changes; and
- 01 July 2010 - commence processing the 2010 income tax forms.
At the meeting on 10 June 2010, the ATO provided updates on e-tax and pre-filling. In summary, the main points from the meeting were as follows:
- E-tax - testing continuing but is on track for 1 July availability;
- Pre-filling - testing continuing but also on track. Next week the ATO should be able to provide the exact dates on which pre-filling information will be available.
- The timing of the ATO interest data will not be available from 1 July (as in previous years), but availability will be confirmed after testing. The reason why it will not be available is that this process is large and complex and requires the extraction of data, transformation of that data into the required format and then loading the data into the pre-fill database in a format for agents and taxpayers use.
- Preparation is well underway for our call centre staff to be ready for Tax Time.