25 Jun 1010 ATO Briefing Tax Time 2010
The Institute's Tax Counsel, Angie Ananda FTIA attended the ATO Briefing for Tax Time 2010 on Thursday, 24 June 2010. The main messages from the ATO from this meeting were as follows:
- eTax: Changes in the final version of the client software is proceeding well. Advice from the contractor is that we should have the software on Thursday 24 June (1 day ahead of previously expected date). eTax content signoff is essentially complete (a couple of very minor issues to correct). For more information, click here.
- Pre-filling: The fix run on the weekend for the rental schedules was successful with over 800,000 loaded. For more information, click here.
- Tax Time publishing: On track for all web publications except the Foreign Investment Funds Guide
- Tools and Calculators: There are two new tools to support the Reform to Income Tests. One tool is expected to be loaded on 24 June however the second tool is at risk of not being ready on 1 July (current advice is that it will but it will be close). All other tools are on track.
- Tax Time Testing Overview: The ATO undertakes software testing that fits into conventional industry norms of 'functional' and 'performance' testing phases. Most effort is put into 'system' testing that consists of many complex real world business scenarios. These scenarios exercise full systems from 'end to end': We have executed over 2,500 complex testing steps. These are test executions where we exercise a variety of inputs, and expect to see very specific outputs. They can be very simple to very complex.
- Involvement of the Software Developers Group in Taxtime 2010: The software industry has been involved in consultation for Tax Time 2010 through the following avenues:
- The Software Developers Consultative Group (SDCG -a peak body forum)
- The ELS forum (a forum specifically for ELS developers)
- Payroll developers workshops (specifically for payroll software developers)
- Special consultative sessions with developers specific to Tax Time 2010
- Tax Time System Changes: The changes to support processing 2010 Income Tax Returns will be made as scheduled over the weekend 26 and 27 June 2010. Testing has been completed and sign offs obtained. As previously advised we will commence processing of 2010 Income Tax Returns on 1 July 2010.