On Wednesday 25 March 2015, Paul Ingram CTA (Minter Ellison) attended a meeting of the ATO Not-For-Profit Advisory Group. At the meeting, the following issues were discussed:
- Two members provided information to the ATO re their experience in dealing with government regulators in the NFP sector to assist the ATO to better understand the NFP sector. General discussion ensued concerning the evolution of the NFP sector;
- An update from Treasury in relation to current issues affecting not-for-profits including the "in Australia" conditions for tax concessions;
- An update from the Department of Social Services re the proposed abolition of the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission;
- A variety of issues relating to ATO administration of the NFP sector including proof of identity for public officers of charitable entities and guidance on applying for an ABN for not-for-profit entities; and
- Other ATO issues including the development of a ‘good governance’ guide and the implications of the ‘single touch payroll’ initiative for NFPs.
Members who require further information in relation to the above should contact us at Tax Policy.