Taxation Institute President, David Williams FTIA, Vice-President, Peter Murray FTIA and I attended the ATO's National Tax Liaison Group (NTLG), which had its quarterly meeting on Wednesday 23 June 2010. The NTLG is chaired by the Commissioner of Taxation and is the peak consultative forum created to focus on topics of strategic importance to the administration of the tax system. Membership of the NTLG includes senior members of the ATO, representatives of major tax, law and accounting professional associations as well as a representative from the Treasury.
Agenda items for the meeting included:
- The ATO's commitment to tripartite law development;
- Bamford - Decision Impact Statement;
- Tax treatment of earnouts;
- taxpayer alerts;
- accountants' concession; and
- Change Program issues and Tax Time 2010.
I would be happy to discuss any of the above items with Members before the minutes of the meeting are prepared and finalised by the ATO.