On Tuesday 14 October 2014, Tax Counsel Thilini Wickramasuriya FTI attended a meeting of the ATO Tax Practitioner Advisory Group to discuss issues arising during Tax Time 2014.
The main points discussed in this week’s meeting were:
- Some ATO call centre staff are being allocated and trained to deal with a backlog of correspondence lodged through the Portal in relation to remissions of penalties and interest.
- ATO is working on a solution to an issue raised by The Tax Institute and other bodies in relation to the impact of electronic paper activity statement initiative on clients who prepare and lodge their own paper their IAS but have the agent prepare and lodge their BAS electronically.
- ATO is investigating the issue raised by The Tax Institute and other bodies in relation to slow processing time for correspondence lodged through the Portal.
- Practitioners were asked to ring and notify the ATO when Portal issues arise.
- The ATO will be sending tax agents a list of clients identified as being impacted by the recent repeal of measures related to the repeal of the MRRT.
- The key messages from the meeting as circulated by the ATO should be available via the link below shortly.
Members seeking further information in relation to the above or any other issues relating to Tax Time 2014 should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org