24 Aug 1212 ATO Tax Practitioner Forum - Weekly Tax Time 2012 Key Messages
On 22 August 2012, Tax Counsel, Stephanie Caredes ATI attended a meeting with the ATO Tax Practitioner Forum (ATPF) to discuss Tax Time 2012. Following this meeting, the ATO has issued the following key messages:
- Tax Time 2012 continues to run smoothly.
- the ATO is ahead in processing compared to the previous year and as at close of business 20 August have finalised over 3.57 million returns.
- the ATO has processed 130,000 more tax returns this year, compared to the same period last year.
- the ATO has issued $7.08 billion in tax refunds since 1 July 2012.
Telephony service standard performance to date:
- From 1 July to 12 August 2012 we received 1,887,386 calls and achieved service levels of:
- tax practitioner calls - 92.8% of calls answered within two minutes (against a standard of 90%);
- general taxpayer calls - 89.0% of calls answered within five minutes (against a standard of 80%).
- During this period the average wait time was 32 seconds for tax practitioner calls and 109 seconds for general taxpayer calls.
Weekly updates on tax time processing are published on the ATO website.
Lodgment Program 2012-13 - Due Dates
Now is a good time to review your practice’s progress against your plan for income tax returns due for the 2012 financial year.
Tip: You can review your clients' due dates via the Electronic Lodgment Service (ELS) or the Tax Agent Portal, which have been updated on Monday 20 August 2012.
Individuals, Companies, trusts, self-managed super funds and super funds with one or more prior year tax returns overdue as at 30 June 2012, have a lodgment due date of 31 October 2012 for their 2012 tax return.
For these companies, self-managed super fund and super funds the payment due date is 1 December 2012, while individuals and trust have a payment due date as shown in the individuals and trusts payment table.
Reminder: You can register for the Due lodgment report (DLR) , which is scheduled to run on the 15 September 2012 in preparation for the 31 October due date.
If you require more information in relation to the above or you have come across any issues that should be reported to the ATO in relation to Tax Time 2012 lodgments, please contact us at Tax Policy.