On Thursday 14 June 2012, Tax Counsel Stephanie Caredes ATI attended a meeting of the BAS Agents Advisory Group (BASAAG). Many issues were discussed as put forward by both the ATO and the BASAAG’s external members. A short summary of the main issues discussed follows:
- Employee or Contractor – a discussion of the ATO’s resources to assist employers to work out whether workers are employees or contractors and who is entitled to an ABN;
- Taxable Payments Reporting – an update in relation to this new payments reporting system as it applies to the Building and Construction Industry;
- Self-Assessment system (please see the summary included for the NTLG GST meeting which includes information provided by the ATO in relation to the self-assessment system);
- Clean Energy Measures – details of how excise and fuel tax credits will be amended by the Clean Energy Measures;
- Standard Business Reporting – the impact of Standard Business Reporting on BAS Agents;
- BAS Agent Portal Enhancements – details of various upgrades planned for the BAS Agent Portal for later this year;
- Reducing Paper Activity Statements for Electronic Lodgers - details of the ATO”s project to find out ways to encourage the use of electronic means for the issue and lodgement of Activity Statements and reduce production of paper Activity Statements.
Members requiring any further information in relation to any of the above items should contact us at Tax Policy.