24 Sep 12 Chair's Message: 20 September 2012
On 20 September 2012, the Chair of the Tax Practitioners Board (TPB), Dale Boucher, issued a Message from the Chair, in which the following topics are discussed:
- a warning to agents about being used by others to lodge fraudulent tax returns;
- two Federal Court cases where unregistered agents have been strongly penalised, including the first civil penalty the TPB has obtained against someone for sending emails advertising tax agent services while unregistered – the penalty for that was $5,000;
- details about the Administrative Appeals Tribunal affirming the TPB’s decision to reject an application for tax agent registration;
- information about the Board’s continuing professional Education policy and some common questions that have arisen;
- two exposure drafts are out for comment - these are about taking reasonable care to find out the facts from clients and to apply tax law; and
- the revised proposed guideline on a Board approved course in commercial law.