The ATO advises that the Australian Business Register (ABR) will upgrade its services on 26 November 2012.
The ABR and AUSkey websites will be unavailable from:
- 6pm Eastern Daylight-saving Time (EDT) Friday, 16 November to midnight EDT Sunday night,18 November
- Noon EDT Friday, 23 November to 7am EDT Monday, 26 November 2012.
After the changes, clients will:
- be able to register for a business name, an AUSkey, GST, fuel tax credits and PAYG withholding as part of their online Australian Business Number (ABN) application
- have their details pre-filled from one registration to the next - for example, some of their ABN details will be pre-filled into their business name application
- need to apply directly with each agency for additional registrations if they elect not to apply at the same time as their ABN application, or already have an ABN
- need to apply for a business name directly with the Australian Securities & Investments Commission if they are not an individual or organisation with an Australian Company Number or Australian registered body number
- still need to go to the AUSkey website www.auskey.abr.gov.au to manage their AUSkeys - for example, cancel an AUSkey, or apply for additional AUSkeys.