07 Feb 2019 December 2018 ATO impersonation scam report
The ATO has released the December 2018 impersonation scam report. Some highlights include:
- 25,473 phone scam reports were officially recorded this month, a decrease of over 12,000 reports from November
- 1,625 phishing scam emails were reported to the ATO
- $542,456 was reported as being paid to scammers, over $580,000 less than November
- Payments via Google Play, iTunes and Bitcoin continue to account for the majority of losses
- Clients who provided scammers with their personal identifying information (PII) totalled 56%.
Read more here.