26 Oct 1212 Electronic Advisory Working Group
On Monday 22 October 2012, Tax Counsel Stephanie Caredes CTA attended a meeting of the Electronic Advisory Working Group (EAWG). Many issues focused on electronic interactions with the ATO were discussed including:
- “Better Ways” Information Package – the ATO took the members of the EAWG forum through the “Better Ways” Information package that is available on the ATO website. A link to the Information Package can be found here.
- ATO Information, Communications and Technology Forward Work Program – the ATO gave the EAWG forum an overview of planned work in relation to its technology offerings and plans to provide a copy of the Work Program to the forum at the next meeting.
- AUSKey management system – the EAWG forum members were given an update in relation to the operation of the AUSKey management system which is now two years old and has replaced the use of the ATO Digital Certificate system.
- Construction Industry Reportable Payments – Members were advised of the three methods by which taxpayers could provide the information required which include lodging online through the Portals or SBR-enabled software, sending information to the ATO through physical electronic media (eg CD, DVD, disc or thumb drive) or using the paper form that will be available.
- Use of electronic products to support practice management – the Professional Bodies requested the ATO make available more information that would assist tax agents to manage their clients’ lodgment obligations. Discussed at the forum were various pieces of information already available to tax agents through, for example, the Portal. The external members requested the ATO consider making available certain other information.
- Electronic Lodgment System to Standard Business Reporting – the ATO gave the EAWG forum an update on the project involving transitioning from ELS to SBR.
- ATO Service Delivery – the ATO gave an overview about the progress in the move towards increasing electronic interactions with the ATO.
Members who seek further information in relation to any of the above or have any matters they wish to have raised in this forum should contact us at Tax Policy.