Follow up message from the ATO on the Tax Free threshold being incorrectly reduced
14 Oct 2013
As reported in 2013 TAXVINE No 38 (4 October 2013), the tax free threshold amount was incorrectly reduced for some individuals from $18,200 to $416 following a systems deployment on 21-22 September 2013.
Taxpayers impacted are those in receipt of the following non-refundable tax offsets:
- Seniors and pensioners tax offset (SAPTO) for the 2013 income year;
- Pensioner Tax Offset (PTO) for the 2012 income year;
- Beneficiary Tax Offset (BTO) for the 2012 income year.
The ATO has now advised The Tax Institute that, as at 17 October 2013:
- a system fix was done on 26 September 2013 and there have been no new cases reported.
- affected taxpayers are being identified and their incorrect notices of assessment will be amended as soon as possible
- the tax agent or client will be contacted prior to the notice of amended assessment being issued
- tax agents should refrain from lodging objections
- where applicable, interest on the overpayment of tax will be calculated and paid to the affected taxpayers or applied against any outstanding tax debts they have with the ATO.
- when the amendment processing is complete, the ATO will let The Tax Institute know.